Lead: The Bowery, noted in legend and fact as a home, for New York’s alcoholics, prostitutes and the homeless, was originally Dutch colonial farmland.

Intro.: A Moment in Time with Dan Roberts.

Content: When the Dutch settled Manhattan in the 1600s, the land that runs diagonally from present day Chatham Square to the crossing of Fourth Avenue and Eighth Street was an Indian Trail. It led from the main area of settlement to a group of agricultural tracts prominent among which was Governor Peter Stuyvesant’s bouwerij, the Dutch word for farm. By the early 1800s it had become a well-traveled thoroughfare and in 1807 was named the Bowery.