Lead: Between 1892 and 1924, during the peak years of immigration to the United States, twelve million immigrants entered America through Ellis Island.

Intro.: A Moment in Time with Dan Roberts.

Content: Ellis Island is a small spit of territory, one mile south of Manhattan in New York Bay. It was named for merchant Samuel Ellis, who for a short time in the 18th century owned the island. On January 1, 1892 it became an inspection station for immigrants coming through the port of New York. Tougher restrictions after 1924, sharply reduced the number of immigrants entering the United States and the immigration center was used for various purposes until it was closed in 1954. Today forty percent (or 100,000,000 Americans) can trace their roots to Ellis Island. On a busy day, as many as three to five thousand immigrants were processed.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download [52.59 KB]