Lead: In the dank summer of 1864 what appeared at first to be a huge accidental explosion rocked the wharves and storehouses of the Union Army at City Point, Virginia.

Intro.: A Moment in Time with Dan Roberts.

Content: In mid-1864 General Ulysses S. Grant established his headquarters and supply depot in the village of City Point at the confluence of the Appomattox and James Rivers 10 miles northeast of Petersburg, Virginia. From there he conducted siege operations in front of Petersburg, which guarded the vital rail links between Confederate capitol Richmond and the rest of the beleaguered South.